The NOM Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We play video games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

*OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!

Go down 
+19
mbgonzomd
KingShorty
Kekborg
_Meta_
fourthplace
Rooksarii
GeminiEffect
Mouse
Re-volution
kkrambo
R2-JD
gordho
bdwright77
Mark Sporto
AlphaShepherd
Tez
bplewis24
TyrantII
frankthetoad
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
kkrambo
Bonerfart
kkrambo

*OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Did all of you guys find the CE? Is it a bigger box? I think I got just the standard edition in a standard jewel case. But they also gave me a $10 Target gift card.
Suckit Amazon!
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:12 pm

kkrambo wrote:
Did all of you guys find the CE? Is it a bigger box? I think I got just the standard edition in a standard jewel case. But they also gave me a $10 Target gift card.
Suckit Amazon!

CE is the regular games plus extras in a Tin.

I did too! Ended up going to Targe' and got the standard edition in a BD case and was surprised to get a $10 gift card too. Also got a gift receipt, and will return my CE edition game if it ever comes since the game in the CE is just the same shrink wrapped game as the SE.

Probably still going to work amazon too, so might end up getting ~$30 off Namco's screw up in the end.

Anyways, Ready to Die!
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:17 pm

checks amazon...

Quote :
Shipment 2 of 2
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: October 4, 2011

sisko
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 5:32 am

This game is awesome. Feels just like Demon's Souls...now with long jumping!

Although I did start over and chose black firebombs as my gift, I definitely wish I'd kept my Master Key. It would come in handy later on.

I've seen a lot of reviews that claim this game is open world where Demon's Souls is linear. I see where they're coming from, but disagree. The only change I really see is that where you were stuck in one world unless you beat the demon, died, or chose to go back to the Nexus, in Dark Souls, you can usually get back to the first bonfire in Firewind unless you go through the boss fog. That, and there's no real central hub like the Nexus was.

All in all, I do feel like this is Demon's Souls 2...which is a good thing!

Although I did get the stone that allows me to drop my soul sign and be summoned...I never was. I also was never able to get Unhollowed...so maybe other players close to me in rank had the same problem. I'm looking forward to seeing the online in action.

Quasi hidden collectible spoiler:
Spoiler:

I died a lot last night. Never once did I even test out the PS Quit trick. Yes, I'm proud of myself! The most souls I lost last night was 3400. That hurt.
Back to top Go down
mbgonzomd
Zombie outbreak response team
mbgonzomd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 am

Ok, a couple of questions:

1) Stairs that are broken. Is there a way to climb them or is this a white energy-dead vs alive thing?

2) Is there a way to jump? A post above mentioned long jumping... so confused.

3) Leveling up. Is this dependent on how many souls you have or just how much a$$ you have kicked? In other words, if you have a bunch of souls and lose them do you lose your ability to level up?

I forgot how confusing this game is... intentionally.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:41 am

mbgonzomd wrote:
Ok, a couple of questions:

1) Stairs that are broken. Is there a way to climb them or is this a white energy-dead vs alive thing?

2) Is there a way to jump? A post above mentioned long jumping... so confused.

3) Leveling up. Is this dependent on how many souls you have or just how much a$$ you have kicked? In other words, if you have a bunch of souls and lose them do you lose your ability to level up?

I forgot how confusing this game is... intentionally.

Broken stairs are blocked to you. There are usually ways to come down them...but not go up. I do not believe this is a White and Black World Tendency thing.

There is no jumping "up" in this game, instead, there is long jumping. So, you can jump over a gap, but you can't jump over an obstacle. To jump, you sprint by holding PS3 Circle then hit PS3 Circle again to jump.

You level up by spending the souls you have at bonfires. If you die and lose your souls, you have to make your way back to the location of your death to recover them. If you die on your way, you'll lose all of the souls you had at that bloodstain.

I put a few tips in the first post of the Resource Thread to help out people that didn't play a lot of Demon's Souls.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 am

Revo of Gunt wrote:
The Asylum Demon is impossible unless u take the fire bombs as ur gift.

Nah, I beat him to death with a club!

Basketball

I loved it though. He was a direct homage to the first demon you encounter in demons souls, but you could beat him without trying to not get hit 3 times over 20 minutes by widdling down his health with a stick. It's almost a joke, since the difficulty goes to brutal right after.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 am

BT way, have any of you found the "Bull Horn" knight yet? Any of you tried taking him on?

suicide
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am

I made a Knight. I got the firebombs as a gift and the Asylum demon was easy. The key to beating him is to strip down nekkid. When you're nekkid you can sprint and roll like an acrobat, so it was easy to avoid his attacks. Toss a few firebombs... dead demon and I got the gigantic demon hammer thingy.

Cool
Back to top Go down
bdwright77
Zombie outbreak response team
bdwright77

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

Nope...and where'd you get that crossbow!
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

TyrantII wrote:
BT way, have any of you found the "Bull Horn" knight yet? Any of you tried taking him on?

suicide

I saw him but ran away. I remembered watching one of the videos, Gamespot or Giantbomb, where they ran into him and got pwned with a level 11 character so I figured I would explore elsewhere for a bit. Cool
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

I didn't think the difficulty was that bad. Once again, it's just knowing how to attack certain folks...though it sounds you're rocking the Deprived class. Guess you're a glutton for punishment!

I think the Graveyard is brutal, but that's because we're not supposed to go there until we level up quite a bit. Seems like you either go to Undead Burg/Undead Parish (up the stairs from Firelink) or New Lordran (down the stairs from Firelink). There are also two uber-difficult enemies, a la the Red Knight in DS, in Undead Burg and the beginning of Undead Parish. I tried going after one of them but ended up just running away... Embarassed

After looking back at the starting character classes, pyromancer is probably the way to go. Lowest level character with decent starting stuff. I'm enjoying my knight. It feels like a completely different game now that I'm doing strictly melee. Every one of the four playthroughs I played in DS I used my same Royal.
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 am

toadthefrank wrote:
I died a lot last night. Never once did I even test out the PS Quit trick. Yes, I'm proud of myself! The most souls I lost last night was 3400. That hurt.

golfclap

Toad, I am a Knight too and only died once the whole night... when I rolled myself backwards off of the cliff near the firebomb tossing guys near the narrow stairs up from the first campfire area.

The shield you start with is able to absorb 99.5% of traditional attacks, so I just kept it in the block position most of the time and waited for an opening.

I'm liking the game a lot so far, much more than the first one since I haven't died once due to stupid camera wonkiness or getting stuck on the environment only to be skewered like a pig on a spit.

Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 am

toadthefrank wrote:
I'm enjoying my knight. It feels like a completely different game now that I'm doing strictly melee. Every one of the four playthroughs I played in DS I used my same Royal.

Same here. I am doing well right now with the big shield and a spear. In Demons Souls I was a royal and used magic almost all of the time. I am finding the melee combat much more enjoyable than flinging glowing snowballs.
Back to top Go down
Kekborg
Club 69!
Kekborg

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 am

Bought myself a bow and some arrows. Love this game!

Oh, and that taurus demon ownes me. I almost had him killed, but rolled off the bridge Mad

I also bought a bunch of firebombs from a vendor. Heading back to the graveyard tonight to take care of those skeletons.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 am

toadthefrank wrote:
I didn't think the difficulty was that bad. Once again, it's just knowing how to attack certain folks...though it sounds you're rocking the Deprived class. Guess you're a glutton for punishment!

I think the Graveyard is brutal, but that's because we're not supposed to go there until we level up quite a bit. Seems like you either go to Undead Burg/Undead Parish (up the stairs from Firelink) or New Lordran (down the stairs from Firelink). There are also two uber-difficult enemies, a la the Red Knight in DS, in Undead Burg and the beginning of Undead Parish. I tried going after one of them but ended up just running away... Embarassed

After looking back at the starting character classes, pyromancer is probably the way to go. Lowest level character with decent starting stuff. I'm enjoying my knight. It feels like a completely different game now that I'm doing strictly melee. Every one of the four playthroughs I played in DS I used my same Royal.

Indeed. The early enemies have much more varied attacks, which increased the difficulty as it's hard to gauge how they're going to attack. DeSo had what, two, for the depraved castle knights?

Yup, am running depraved. No armor, and no real weapons. When I bought a chest piece it literally upped the damage I can be dealt by 100%. Found some weapons too finally, but not liking any of their stances and swings (Especially around the castle, where they hit the stone walls). The scimitar is pretty different than it was in DeSo.

I killed that knight Alpha. Ran back, went up on a roof, and jumped to a location where you can only jump down. Firebombed his butt, then did a flying club leap. Got my first upgrade stone and 600 souls to boot.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 am

I'm interested to hear if the firebombs kill those skeletons. I just kept running past them to pick up the sword, spear, and shield that were back there.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 am

AlphaShepherd wrote:
toadthefrank wrote:
I'm enjoying my knight. It feels like a completely different game now that I'm doing strictly melee. Every one of the four playthroughs I played in DS I used my same Royal.

Same here. I am doing well right now with the big shield and a spear. In Demons Souls I was a royal and used magic almost all of the time. I am finding the melee combat much more enjoyable than flinging glowing snowballs.

Big shield + spear is invaluable to noobs in these games. I think I ran with that my first playthrough of Demons Souls for 2-3 levels before I had enough rank, and enough souls to broaden out.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:26 am

toadthefrank wrote:
I'm interested to hear if the firebombs kill those skeletons. I just kept running past them to pick up the sword, spear, and shield that were back there.

They do, but it was taking about 4-5 from me. Problem is they're in twos, and they sprint after you. You might get one, but the other is in your face. Then there's 4 or 6 more....
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 am

I didn't have a ton of time to play since the playoffs were on, but I did level up twice. I had to sign out right through the door where the Taurus demon is. I have lots of firebombs ready for him, but I am down to about 1/3 of my health and 3 potions. Shocked

I didn't intend on progressing into that area... I was just exploring really. I am liking the open-ish environment that lets you explore.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

I wish I was sick so I could be home playing this game....

I leveled up to 16. Rev told me I couldn't go to 20 last night, so I stopped. If I find out that the summoning in this game is going to be difficult, I'm going to do some farming.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 am

One thing I've noticed is the lock on system seems to be buggy. It doesn't like to cycle through as easily as it was in DS, and there have been times when it simply won't lock on to the guy running right at me.

Been killed a few times because of it...

Am I missing a something new about it I have to take into account?
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:34 am

toadthefrank wrote:
I leveled up to 16. Rev told me I couldn't go to 20 last night, so I stopped. If I find out that the summoning in this game is going to be difficult, I'm going to do some farming.

Shocked

I'm only level 7... you guys are going to blow past me in levels again. Sad
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 am

TyrantII wrote:
One thing I've noticed is the lock on system seems to be buggy. It doesn't like to cycle through as easily as it was in DS, and there have been times when it simply won't lock on to the guy running right at me.

Been killed a few times because of it...

Am I missing a something new about it I have to take into account?
I think it's fantastic! I don't remember being able to change my targets by moving the right stick like you can in this game. Other than that, it's the same.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 am

Oh, to become unhollowed (?) you need to invade/help, which I don't think we can or you can use the "Humanity" item. Once used, sit by a fire and you should be able to "Unhollow"

BTW, why didn't they just use hallo and unhallowed?

I did it once before going into dedburg. didn't help one bit and pretty much wasted it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!   *OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS! - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

*OFFICIAL* DARK SOULS THREAD FOR W1NNARS!
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next