The NOM Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We play video games.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas

Go down 
+6
fourthplace
TyrantII
bdwright77
frankthetoad
AlphaShepherd
Rooksarii
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rooksarii
Mule's Spoon Boy
Rooksarii

Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:03 am

So, yeah, figured this would be a good thing to kick around too.

I know we have the resources, but sometimes it is easier to kick around ideas in a drum beating, man-hugging, self-affirming circle of sharing! Mods please move, erase or add native pan flute music to this thread if it should go elsewhere/is too touchy feely/or is not touchy feely enough, respectively. Ghey!

(Space reserved for any links, as the Wikis will soon be flooded with builds)

For my own part, I am primarily playing DS 2.0 as a thief/dex build. Super tricky, especially at the beginning, but hoping for some payoff later on in terms of damage and mobility. A lot of us have played DS1, but for any new to the franchise, shoot the breeze and ask away. I'd default to toad et al myself for trickier queries, as I've played the heck outa DS1 but they have a lot more field experience than I do.

Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am

I started with the Knight and have been dumping points into STR, END and I think two into DEX and one in Faith so I can use the basic heal spell. So far the regular ghouls have been pretty easy because of my shield and rotating around for the back stab.

Should I be rotating points equally when leveling up? i.e. 1 into STR, then next level 1 into END, then 1 into VIT, then back to 1 in STR, rinse repeat?

Are there weapons that give you a bonus for STR and others that give you a bonus for DEX or INT that I should be staying away from upgrading?
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:15 am

My Knight has 20 in strength, 19 in Vitality, 17 in Endurance (I think), and 15 in Dexterity (I think). I added 1 point into Faith early on for sh!ts and giggles. I do plan on being a Knight/Cleric at some point.
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:23 am

Ok... I have 18 STR right now, so I think I need to focus on Vitality for a few levels. I think it's still at the starting value.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

I just really wanted to get my HP up because I normally don't play these types of game with a melee build. I'm happy I decided to this time. It provides for a more heart pounding experience.

I still die a lot, but it's usually at the hands of a mob or an uber-powerful enemy I should have probably left for later.
Back to top Go down
Rooksarii
Mule's Spoon Boy
Rooksarii

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 am

I've read some things about rotating, but keeping a core stat or stat bloc in mind. Everything could potentally be a benefit, regardless of class, but your higher end weapons will bottleneck you in terms of one state. Usually huge STR/DEX requirements but with enough secondary requirements to warrant some spread in stats. I myself may get some INT/FAITH whathave you, as some spells are just too handy to ignore, even as a primarily melee focused character.

Side question, anyone read anything about diminishing returns in this game? I know some of if not all of the stats in DS1 had a 30-40 limit to be substantially helpful, and after that it was a fraction of an increase per point.
Back to top Go down
bdwright77
Zombie outbreak response team
bdwright77

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:14 am

Melee is far more useful in this game than in Demons Souls. Magic really dwarfed the melee character in terms of usability in that game.
Back to top Go down
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat
TyrantII

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:16 am

Seems like it
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 12:22 pm

bdwright77 wrote:
Melee is far more useful in this game than in Demons Souls. Magic really dwarfed the melee character in terms of usability in that game.
You're exactly right. When you only have so many uses per spell, that really makes you think about when to use it. In DS, I would just spam Soul Arrow like crazy.

I do use a bow. A LOT. Luring out single enemies in a big group and killing big enemies that won't move in the hopes they'll draw you into an ambush make it an awesome secondary.

I do plan on taking a look at some of the offensive cleric miracles. I don't think I'll go for heal. I usually don't get a chance to exhaust all of my Estus Flasks before I die....
Back to top Go down
fourthplace
Bieber Fanboy
fourthplace

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:45 pm

I started off as a Bandit (14 base str) and I'm dumping every single point into Str, End, Vit, and the occasional point into dex for requirements I may run into down the road.

I also like being light/rolling and moving around faster so I opt for leather like armors.

I like it so far Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark Sporto
NOMaster
Mark Sporto

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 am

i've been dumping everything into dex 1st/ str 2nd and will continue to do so until around level 30. my thief is super sneaky and wields a sweet drake.

Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 am

Your thief wields a small dragon? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mark Sporto
NOMaster
Mark Sporto

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:00 am

no silly.

it wields a Nathan.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 am

No post has been more deserved: PicardPalm
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 am

riker
Back to top Go down
Mark Sporto
NOMaster
Mark Sporto

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:15 am

sisko <--- kisses
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:35 am

Moved this to here:

AlphaShepherd wrote:
Should I keep farming titanite shards to upgrade my stock Knight armor or will I be finding better stuff soon? I'm level 21 and have just started The Depths, but am going to farm the forest guys for awhile first.
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 am

You'll find much better stuff. The main thing with armor is to have your equipped load be 50% or less of your max equip burden. I wasn't able to do that with my Knight's Armor. At half or less of your max equip burden you run and roll much faster. With the Knight's Armor on, you go to roll...fall on your face, slowly pick yourself up, and eventually stand. It's just not worth it.

That's why I invested all of my shards into my Hollow Soldier Shield which is now at +10.
Back to top Go down
AlphaShepherd
1%'r
AlphaShepherd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am

toadthefrank wrote:
You'll find much better stuff. The main thing with armor is to have your equipped load be 50% or less of your max equip burden. I wasn't able to do that with my Knight's Armor. At half or less of your max equip burden you run and roll much faster. With the Knight's Armor on, you go to roll...fall on your face, slowly pick yourself up, and eventually stand. It's just not worth it.

That's why I invested all of my shards into my Hollow Soldier Shield which is now at +10.

So should I be wearing my Black Leather Thieve's armor? scratch
Back to top Go down
frankthetoad
NOMaster
frankthetoad

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am

That's what I was wearing for a while. I now have some sweet black robes that make me look like Death. They've got some crazy stats.
Back to top Go down
Mark Sporto
NOMaster
Mark Sporto

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:04 am

AlphaShepherd wrote:
toadthefrank wrote:

So should I be wearing my Black Leather Thieve's armor? scratch

that's what i'm wearing until i find something better.
Back to top Go down
mbgonzomd
Zombie outbreak response team
mbgonzomd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I prefer just wearing my tighty-whities. I makes the enemies feel a little uncomfortable, which gives me a decisive advantage.
Back to top Go down
Mark Sporto
NOMaster
Mark Sporto

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm

you F'er
Back to top Go down
Kekborg
Club 69!
Kekborg

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
Kekborg
Club 69!
Kekborg

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 pm

and yes, I did LOL when I read that!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next