HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 pm

mbgonzomd wrote:
I prefer just wearing my tighty-whities. I makes the enemies feel a little uncomfortable, which gives me a decisive advantage.

After reading this Beedubs is driving at about 145 MPH to the nearest Gamestop to buy the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mbgonzomd
Zombie outbreak response team

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Kekborg wrote:
and yes, I did LOL when I read that!!!

Me to. You F'er.

PSN: mule-tool
XBL: Grande MULETOOL

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kekborg
Club 69!

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm

cheers

PSN - kekborg
XBL - kekborg
wii - 3936 1747 6777 5424
Mario Kart - 3781-9904-0357
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 am

So now that I am level 31 should I be looking to start upgrading and using a different weapon than my Drake sword? Or should I be looking to upgrade the Drake sword? I know it uses a different type of stone than regular weapons, but I'm not sure if I have any yet.

All I have so far are regular weapons and the Drake sword.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankthetoad
NOMaster

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:49 am

I just graduated from the Drake Sword at level 55. The weapon I found in Sen's Fortress is amazing. Just don't upgrade the Drake...it's not worth the investment. Also, start upgrading another weapon you'll eventually want to use. I've got a Magic Scimitar +5 that I'll be upgrading in Anor Londo as soon as I find the blacksmith and the ember he'll need.

I suggest a sword that allows for a lot of hits- like the scimitar. You can other huge swords as drops/rewards. The Gravelord Sword I got from entering that covenant is bada$$$, but the wind up time is slooooooow. Good if you're facing a slow enemy, awful if you're trying to kill a crack addict skeleton.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mbgonzomd

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 am

I started upgrading my short bow. Am I going to find a long bow anytime soon? If so, I will stop upgrading the short one in favor of the long one. TWSS

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 am

I'll start upgrading my Estoc then... it's a very cool sword. The guy that makes all the videos for the walkthroughs, EpicNameBro really likes it too so it must be awesome. study

Plus it's got a really sweet swing animation.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankthetoad
NOMaster

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am

mule, I found a Long Bow. I forget where. Check the wiki. I upgraded it to +5, then took it to Divine +3 last night. Love it.

Also, don't upgrade any crossbows. There's a "sniper crossbow" in Sen's Fortress. I didn't try it out, but I imagine you can scope it. That's the one I'd upgrade if I ever used a crossbow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 am

Longbow - Location: Found on ledges in darkroot grove w/arrows and leather armor set.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankthetoad
NOMaster

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:06 am

There isn't a grove in the US version- I suspect it's Darkroot Forest. There's also a "Basin" and a "Garden."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:10 am

I'll keep an eye out for it. There are so many glowy flower things there that look like treasures it's confusing. There was also a crystal gecko that got away because I thought it was a treasure and just ran up to it.

FU!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankthetoad
NOMaster

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 am

Apparently the crystal geckos don't have the same spawn counter they did in DS. It's reported that their counter only diminishes when one is killed- either by you, or falling off a cliff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 am

Sweet! So I should be able to find the same gecko somewhere else in the game?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:32 am

Found a compound bow too, but can't remember where.

Is there a "sticky bow" this time around?

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:45 am

Is there sticky white stuff this time around? I found some on the bed next to the black smith in DS.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kkrambo
Bonerfart

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 am

I have a long bow. I have some pine resin but it does nothing for my long bow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Has anyone used the sorcery spells Magic Shield and Magic Weapon?

My thought was to farm a few more souls in the forest area then run back to Firelink and buy those two spells from Griggs as well as that ring that boosts spell duration by 50% so they last longer.

However with only 5 uses per slot, I'm not sure how much use they would get. Question

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Haven't used shield yet, but have used weapon. It boosts my weapons 30-40HP it seems, and I'm a lowly 10 intelligence. Been using it with a large sword to help poor souls beat the gaping dragon.

I'm liking piromancy much better. You can upgrade your glove (mines is now +10) and my exploding fireball does 450HP damage! Only get 6 per bonfire though, but it's great when you find yourself in a pickle and need to quickly kill something before it kills you.

1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 am

So last night I upgraded both my estoc and my halberd to +5. Both are really sweet!!

The halberd is my favorite though. It has awesome range on it and does an area attack when you use the R2 button. It also does a huge 360 attack when wielding it with two hands.

Now I need some different rocks to either make them +6 and higher or "raw". Is one better than the other? i.e. is making them either lightning or crystal better than being +15 standards?

scratch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rooksarii
Mule's Spoon Boy

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 am

I imagine it is a give and take. Going up through standard progresson will net you steady increases to the same things that went up with the regular bumps, but the "specialty" flavors add some proc damage (love my MMO vocab) and/or different base damage types. Keep in mind, some weapons have a split between damage types (50% physical, 50% magic damage for example) and are VERY useful against certain critters. Added to that, the stat modifiers may swap around a bit depending on the upgrade path. I dont know the details fully, but a Halberd may be C for strength and E for Dex in terms of "extra" damage based off those two stats, and upgraded up to +15 it may go up to A or S for STR and maybe B for Dex. There could be a specialty item that, while maxing at +5 say, would offer a higher Dex modifier over STR off of the +5 Halberd. A LOT of play room in terms of what you could/should upgrade.

A side note, this is all from what I have seen, read, and based off of DeS stuff.

Last edited by Rooksarii on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 am

Shocked

Dayum.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaShepherd
1%'r

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 am

Thriller

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fourthplace
Bieber Fanboy

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm making a strictly str/endurance melee build, but noticed
there aren't really any great weapons that scale with STR.

That's kind of dumb, no?
There are weapons that have no scaling affect with certain 'soul' upgrades,
so why wouldn't one just dump everything into vitality/endurance
and get one of these super weapons that doesn't matter how much STR you have?

=/

My build is dominating at level 34, but I feel like I'm going to be struggling
later without any spells/magic/super weapons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrantII
Has on robe & wizard hat

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 pm

STR has quite a few good scaling weapons, DEX on the other hand doesn't...

Also, both STX and DEX are dwarfed but lighting and fire (elemental) weapons, at least until you get a very, very high character level.

This game was not balanced well...

Bieber Fanboy

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Right now, Soul Level 38

Vit 17
Attunement 8
Endurance 25
Str 26
Dex 15
Resistance 11
Int 8
Faith 10

(Started with bandit class)

Is this awful?? I seem to be doing just fine, but... IDK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas   

Back to top Go down

Dark Souls Character Build Advice/Ideas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The NOM Clan :: Dark Souls-
Jump to: